Thursday, February 26, 2009

You Never Know Who You Might See - A Craig, An Orr, or maybe A Curlee

I had the opportunity to chaperone a fantastic Youth Conference for the youth a couple of weeks ago. As I was sitting there talking to Tiffany the other chaperone, one of the other chaperone's from another unit Carrie (Craig) came up to me and had this man on her arm. She said, I told you she would be here. I have to admit at first I had no idea who it was and I just smiled and hugged him hello. He asked how Bruce was and how my mom and dad were. I'm still trying to put it all together. He then said, I guess I haven't seen them since we stayed with them the night before our wedding at the temple. By this point I am so confused. Lots of people have stayed with us but finally my brain put it all together. Craig Curlee! Yes! sad that I had to travel that far to see a family member by accident.(When I showed the picture to Bruce he immediately knew who it was and so did my nephew who lived with us back then.) Craig and his wife were there chaperoning the youth from their ward in Alabama. I knew for sure it was Craig when he said I can't sleep on the floor at someone else's house I got us a hotel room. I went and got my niece Jill and we took a picture of her with his children. It is too blurry (sorry Jill) but it was fun to see family. Jill had never met Craig or his children so that was a fun moment. Later that night I ran into another guy Ronald Orr who also grew up with our family and he was there as a chaperone also.

My next surprise came as I turned the corner and there was one of my young women, from about a year ago :). She now lives in Columbus, is married and has 4 children. My favorite part is she is one of the Young Women leader's in her unit. I can't be that old! What more can you ask for in a weekend - reconnecting with old friends, seeing that you helped make a difference in the life of a young woman, getting to listen to some great talks,and then sleeping in a house where the son drives a Porche, the mom has a Maserati and another Porche (I think I was in too much awe) and a self playing grand piano. The only thing that helped me realize it wasn't a dream is that the dance was way tooooooooo long. Even the kids were ready to go.

The next day when I saw Craig again I asked him how his night was. Well except for the fire alarm going off at about 5:00 IN THE MORNING it was great. To which I replied to bad you didn't stay in someones house. We woke up to the piano playing as we walked downstairs from our nice comfy beds and bathrooms with each room. Okay so we let the Young Women have the beds and we slept on the floor but he didn't need to know that part.

1 comment:

The Schaefer's said...

Oh my gosh! I recognized Craig the second I saw the picture! That is too funny that he and his wife were there chaperoning. It's such a small world.

Why Clayfrog?

A long time ago (our future animal rights activist who was 3 at the time) found a family of frogs in the clay and decided that was a good name for us because we would save all the frogs.