Saturday, May 30, 2009

Telephone Poles and 8th Grade Prom

Nicholas had a very busy last month as well.

He has been busy at school with lots of projects. He has been more busy with lots of fun things at school. Since he is in 8th grade he wouldn't let me take pictures of the fun things he did. He had an awards ceremony. He had an 8th grade cookout. He called me to pick him and a friend up from school one day because they were too wet to ride the bus home from so much fun. Too many birthday parties to remember. I think there were six or more just in the last three weeks. Not to mention the end of school party last night. My favorite was the "8th Grade Prom".

He suited up.

Climbed a telephone pole

To the very top and
jumped off to try and reach the swinging bar.

After that he headed to the next adventure of being harnessed and pulled to the top of the telephone pole. He had to release the safety harness and swing till he stopped at one point he was upside down. Nerves of steel baby.

He spoke at a baptism for two people very close to our hearts and did a great job. We are proud of you Nicholas and the testimony you have.



Yes! at our school they have a prom for the graduating 8th graders. I think it is crazy but it's what they do. Even though I don't love the idea of this whole "prom" it was a really funny experience.

Act One - The tie
Nicholas: "I need a turquoise tie!"
Me: "I'll just rush right out and get one they are so easy to find."
Thank goodness we have a friend who can get into The Mart.

Act Two - More on the tie
Me: "What color turquoise tie do you need?"
Nicholas: "Just a regular colored one."
Me: "Well they come in different shades"
Nicholas: Hold on(sends a text)"A darker shade of turquoise."
Me: "That makes it so much easier.

Act Three - Three Days Before the Prom
Nicholas: "Mom, What is a cras ahje? and a bootie nay?"
Me:(trying not to laugh explains how to say it and what it is.)

What scares me more is that he is taking French this year. Plus he represented the school in the spelling bee and spelled masochistic but missed knapsack. He of course blamed it on Napster.

I call my friend who owns a florist and explain that I need a corsage. Thank goodness it was free those things are tooo expensive.

Act Four - Getting ready to go
As we are getting in the car to leave Nicholas says this is just weird I'm too young to be doing this kind of stuff. Love it!


Act Five - After the Prom
Me: "Did you have fun?"
Nicholas: "Yes that was great."
Me: "Did you dance with Rikki?"
Nicholas: "Yes some but mostly just to the slow dances. That was a great night."
Me: "Did they like your tie?"
Nicholas: "Yes it was great!"


At least I got one picture with him and
Luckily the tie matched
and Nicholas is scared to death of Bill - Rikki's step dad. Nicholas wouldn't let me stay long enough to get a picture of him and his friends. So this is all I have.

But where is that beautiful corsage.
He left it in the car and wouldn't let me bring it to the dance.
(Now I'm really glad I didn't pay for it.)
Mackenzie found it the next morning and was so excited

Mackenzie: "Oh my first corsage. I'm so lucky. I can't wait for (name left out to protect the future) to give me one."

Me: OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least for now I think she is content to be with her new chickens.

1 comment:

Greg and Lara said...

I'm awfully glad Greg and I taught that boy how to slow dance just in time!

Why Clayfrog?

A long time ago (our future animal rights activist who was 3 at the time) found a family of frogs in the clay and decided that was a good name for us because we would save all the frogs.