Tuesday, November 4, 2008

106 year old voter - Election Day stories

A 106-Year-Old Nun Could Be Oldest Voter In The Presidential Election.

In the midst of our economic woes and campaign strategies comes a heart-warming story that shows our democracy still has the power to instill hope. For me that message is important after the ruthless weeks of politics that we have all endured. An American nun living in Rome will cast a vote this year.

Sister Cecilia Gaudette, who last voted for President Eisenhower in 1952, has registered to vote. Although she is hard of hearing, she keeps herself informed by reading newspapers and watching TV at the convent.

I first saw this story on Good Morning America and although Sister Cecilia Gaudette and I may not see eye to eye on politics I think it is wonderful that she decided to vote. I loved it when during the interview they talked about the young nun (she was I believe 76) helping Sister Cecilia Gaudette fill out the paper work. Sister Cecilia Gaudette couldn't put the year she was born because the form didn't go back far enough.

My other favorite election story comes from Mackenzie. Mackenzie's school voted last week at school in a mock election. She came home from school wearing her "I voted" sticker and told me that she voted for the John McCain. But three boys voted for the really tall guy. She then explained to me what a privilege it is to vote. It was fun to see the excitement in her face.

My saddest election stories as of now comes from a segment I heard on the radio. A principal was on the phone talking about how they were hiring undercover police to be in the school the day after the election as a safety precaution because they have had such a division among their students. On this same radio program a mother called in and talked about her son getting harassed for having a political sticker on his notebook. He was in 5th grade and had helped out at a political rally. He was given stickers and a tee shirt. He has yet to wear the tee shirt according to his mother.

3 comments:

The Curlee Family said...

I love the new look of your blog!! It's a shame how "divided" this has made us as a nation. Bruce is so concerned about what tommorow will bring no matter what the result.

The Schaefer's said...

Just yesterday at the Republican Headquarters in Fayetteville, a "mysterious" package was delivered. They brought in the bomb sniffing dogs. They detected bomb making materials and the package was carefully "taken care of." It bothers me that people get so worked up about political stuff.

Joe and Jake Est. 1990 said...

There have been fights at Northgate...sad...it will die down soon I hope!

Why Clayfrog?

A long time ago (our future animal rights activist who was 3 at the time) found a family of frogs in the clay and decided that was a good name for us because we would save all the frogs.